Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Month Two: Clutter-Zapping Report

Here's my progress since my last clutter-busting update on August 11. Yikes! I only did 13 more hours! Add that to my total for Month One, and I have a total of 27 hours. But since I set my goal at 100 hours in three months (starting July 10), I'd need to have about twice this many hours done in order to be keeping pace with that commitment!

I'll do my best to make good on my commitment. If I don't reach 100 hours by my next report on October 11, I will continue to make monthly reports until I do!

I have been keeping the task in front of me in writing every day. I don't feel that I've gotten distracted or that I've lost my motivation. But I do know one place I went wrong: I over-promised! Realistically, with everything else I have going on, 100 hours in 3 months might not work. It's starting to look like 50 hours would have been a worthy challenge but more doable.

Do you have trouble getting real about how long something will take or how much time you'll have to fit it in? Optimism is great, but leave a margin for error in your calculations, especially if you have someone chomping at the bit for your results. I'm trying to remember to under-promise and over-deliver. You can reduce your stress greatly if you work on developing this habit, too!

Not all is lost, though. There's a lot to be said for incremental improvement. And the simple fact is that I'm getting more hours in than I would have if I hadn't made this public commitment. Also, setting up this sort of step-by-step challenge for myself drives home the point for me that these hours do add up over time, and my office and home look better for it. And I feel better!

Do I have any fellow clutter-zappers out there? Please fill us all in on your progress and/or obstacles!

Thanks,
Susan

P.S. To receive the alter ego to this blog, called "Susan, Unplugged...Your 'Slow-Tech' Source for Creative and Healthy Living Tips," with my compliments, contact me at scleaver@dejazzd.com, by phone (610-385-3766), or by snail-mail (Susan Cleaver, P.O. Box 586, Douglassville, PA, USA, 19518-0586) with your snail-mail address. If you live outside the continental US, I'll ask you to cover the cost of the postage. Thanks! I think you'll enjoy the light and inspiring tone of the newsletter.

***All of Susan's creative4life posts are copyright of Susan Cleaver.***

No comments: