Thursday, September 18, 2008

Featured Artist: Wilfriede Axsmith, Silk Painter

I love wearable art! So every spring when I head to a local craft show in Chester County, PA, I always look forward to visiting the booth of The Silken Garb and its creator, silk painter Wilfriede Axsmith!

In her warm and helpful way, Wilfriede has helped me pick out at least four pieces of her art for my wardrobe. The breezy style of her painting and the flowing nature of the garments make me feel like a free spirit!

Wilfriede's pieces always garner compliments, and her pieces are so distinctive that those who know her work can recognize it immediately.

I can certainly relate to Wilfriede's style of working. She says, "In my work I create my own safe haven. I love texture, color, and unexpected designs...." She follows these elements to the completion of the piece without imposing a particular structure on it.

Wilfriede and I also share several values: life-long learning, reading, self-care, experimenting, and loving our work!

Wilfriede says, "Germany in those days was a different world," when she left it to come to the US in 1963. Even though her father was an artist, Wilfriede was busy dealing with culture shock and working as a tailor to help put her three daughters through college. She didn't see herself as an artist during that time.

Designing one-of-a-kind dolls after 20 years as a tailor sparked her transition into art. Several years later, Wilfriede went on to become a silk painter, which required much study to learn about using the dyes and other techniques.

Finally she had found her true calling! Wilfriede then took "...advanced classes with nationally known silk painters and artists...." Today she is a juried member of the Reading-Berks Chapter of the PA Guild of Craftsmen.

Wilfriede's techniques include Batik (a wax resist process), Shibori, a special folding and pleating technique, or using the Gutta Serti technique, which involves steam-setting of the dyes. For her "canvas" she uses light-weight China Silk, Silk-Rayon Velvet, or something in between, depending on the character of the piece she's creating.

Wilfriede faces the same challenges as many other artists: pressure, deadlines, and fear of losing her creativity. "Being discouraged at times is part of the process," she reassures us. "I have also come to realize and accept that it is okay to have my work rejected at times. I often learn and try a different approach and always try to remember what is really important in my life."

Wilfriede's upcoming shows are at: Peters Valley, NJ, on Sept. 27 and 28; PA Guild of Craftsmen at Montgomery County Community College, Oct. 18 and 19; Reading-Berks Guild of Craftsmen on Nov. 1 and 2; North Penn, Lansdale, PA, Nov. 22.

For Wilfriede's contact info, please see www.rbcrafts.org/listings/axsmith.htm. Many thanks to Wilfriede for being willing to be my latest featured artist!

Sincerely,
Susan

P.S. Feel free to suggest future featured artists!

P.P.S. Please let me know by tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 19, if you're interested in the Fall Sweep Dig-In Tele-Party. Just go to http://www.seminarannouncer.com/ for more info and a convenient place to sign up. Thanks!

***All of Susan's creative4life posts are copyright of Susan Cleaver.***

.

No comments: