Monday, August 11, 2008

My 100-Hour Clutter-Zapping Report, Month One

As I promised in my June 10 post, here's an update on my first month of my 100-hour clearing and organizing challenge! I've worked 14 hours on it so far...not too bad considering I was gone for a week, but I will need to pick up the pace for the next two months.

Shortly after I got into the project, I realized that I needed to tweak the details slightly. It still adds up to 100 hours of work in three months, but it's a simpler, clearer, more practical way to state the goal. It's more motivating and flexible to say, "I'll do 100 hours in 3 months," rather than "2 hours per day on 50 days out of the next three months."

You'll probably find this to be true when you set a challenge for yourself, too, if you haven't already. Plans are great; they get us moving and motivated and offer structure. As you get into action, though, you may need to make some modifications.

Also in setting up the details on July 10, I mentioned that I need to develop an easy way to maintain the systems and level of order I'm creating. I think the easiest way for me is to figure in 6 hours a week of the same thing I'm doing now as a maintenance schedule that I'll start as soon as I'm done this challenge on October 10.

As with dieting, this maintenance schedule will have to be a permanent lifestyle change for me. I believe it'll be worth it! And by then it'll be a habit, and it will seem easy compared to doing 100 hours in three months!

When I hosted my last Dig-In Tele-Party on June 28, I cleaned out my office, and I'm happy to say that this 100-hour challenge has helped me keep it neat for 1 and 1/2 months now while I'm also working on other areas of my home. (See the P.S. below for info on the next Dig-In Tele-Party.)

Generally I've been working on the challenge in 30-minute segments so I don't feel overwhelmed. This has helped me in other ways, too. It's easier to set aside time for a 30-minute sweep, so when I see a messy area, it doesn't drag me down so much. I know I'll probably have a chance to work on it soon, probably that same day, for at least a little while.

I set a timer for these 30-minute clutter-zapping sessions, and that helps me reframe the task. Instead of seeing clutter, turning my head, and saying "Ugh!", I'm actually looking for areas to tackle, and it becomes more like a game and provides focus!

What does all of this have to do with our creativity? More than you might think! We clean up for other visitors, so why not for our Muses...and ourselves?

If you like the idea of improving the Feng Shui in your home, office, and/or studio, clutter-zapping is a great place to start! Clutter causes stagnant energy that zaps your energy and tends to keep your Muse away.

What about you? Have you committed to a plan that will move you forward in some area of your life? Please leave a comment about your progress so we can cheer you on!

Thanks,
Susan

P.S. I have two tele-parties slated! The first one is the "Do What You Love" Tele-Party on August 15. See my August 4 post for details or contact me at scleaver@dejazzd.com.

The second tele-party is the "Fall Sweep Dig-In Tele-Party" for zapping clutter or other tasks that you want to get off your plate. It's on the first day of fall, September 22, from 7:00 to 9:00 Eastern. Contact me at scleaver@dejazzd.com by September 19, and I'll make sure you get the phone number and the access code.

For both tele-parties, your only expense is your long-distances charges for the brief check-in calls. My hosting of the tele-parties is complimentary!

***All of Susan's creative4life posts are copyright of Susan Cleaver.***
.

No comments: