Monday, August 13, 2007

FAQ's About the Creative Process

"Is everyone creative, or is it just a lucky few?"

I believe that everyone is creative. The catch is that there are blocks that stop people from accessing it or recognizing it, such as:
  • fear of failure, success, responsibility, looking foolish, or being rejected.
  • unconscious programing that may sound something like this: "I'm too left-brained to be creative," or "It would be arrogant to assume I'm creative."
  • overlooking the creative things we do every day at work and at home. A former client of mine who didn't see himself as creative is actually an outstanding creative problem solver!
  • depression. Even a mild case can shut your creativity down. Please seek help if you need it! Depression is a messenger, and you may need help deciphering the message. If you try to ignore it, the messenger may start knocking so loud that you can't hear anything else.
  • limiting cultural stereotypes about creatives, which often include words like "flake," "drunk," or "starving." If I believed these descriptions, I wouldn't want rush up to join the club, either!

"What about those who start out creating but then seem to lose touch with it?"

Here are a few possibilities:

  • the onset of depression (see above).
  • pushing and striving instead of going with the flow.
  • getting lax about self-care and balance.
  • resentment toward those who have criticized or rejected their work.
  • other unfinished emotional business.

"What are the relationships among creativity, intuition, and spirituality?"

If I took a poll of actively creative folks, I believe the responses would fall into three categories:

  • Some might say something like, "I have no interest in intuition or spirituality, and I do just fine creating."
  • The second group may not use the exact terms, but may report things such as "I get lost in my creative work," "I'm surprised by the results of my own work," or "The work seems to come through me instead of from me."
  • The third group might be those who actively cultivate their intuition and spirituality and feel strongly that these inform, inspire, and shape their work. While I respect the experiences and preferences of others, I find myself in this group.

"O.K., Susan, please tell me why I keep putting off the work I would most like to be doing!"

Here are some possibilities:

  • fear (see the first question again).
  • guilt ("I should be spending my time doing something else.")
  • ADD or culture-induced ADD-like behavior. See the work of Edward Hallowell.
  • failing to break the project down into approachable pieces.
  • lack of accountability. Set up a mutual accountability plan with a friend or email me at scleaver@dejazzd.com. I can always use an additional accountability buddy! I'd also be glad to coach you on this topic during a complimentary trial tele-coaching session.

Please ask any additional questions on the creative process in the comments section so I can address them in future posts. Thanks!

To your success,

Susan

No comments: