Monday, August 06, 2007

Castles in the Air

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau


This is one of the greatest lessons I learned in my coach training! I wish I'd known it when I was a freelance children's writer. From my viewpoint now as a coach and Reiki Master, I can see how I failed to provide a solid foundation for myself. I did well in terms of learning the ropes and staying up with changes in the field. I knew the foundational stuff for my sole proprietorship, but I forgot to take care of the proprietor!


Soon I became the weakest link in my own chain, often dealing with creative blocks and stress-related illnesses that led me away from being the "principal" of my business and toward being the "principle" reason it failed!


I did not take care of myself physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, or energetically! It was like walking on stilts, which was certainly not a firm foundation for my "castle"!


Even if your creative activity is a hobby rather than a business, if you've been walking on stilts, where are you going to find the energy and inspiration to create? Keeping your values in mind, take a look at these three areas:

Simplify
  • What routines can you institute to lessen your stress?
  • What positive energy resources can you cultivate for yourself? Maybe a walk in nature?
  • What boundaries do you need to set with others to lessen your stress?

Clarify

  • What strengths can you leverage?
  • What kind of people do you want to surround yourself with?

Amplify

  • What is your vision or mission for your life, and how does your art fit in?
  • What goals support your vision or mission?
  • What's one small step you can take today to start building a firm foundation?

Please share your comments on the step you choose and your results to inspire the rest of us!

Thanks,

Susan

P.S. Email me at scleaver@dejazzd.com to set up a complimentary introductory tele-coaching session for more help on this topic or most others!





No comments: