Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What Motivates a Patron to Buy Art? Here's What Stirs My Heart

Inspired by a recent visit to my favorite craft show (OJR Friends of the Arts), I'm sharing with you what motivates me to choose the particular pieces I buy there.

~The piece calls to my intuition.
~It expresses the artist's unique style and essence.
~The item may have an original twist on a well-loved theme or design element.
~It has an interesting combination of materials, textures, and colors.
~The piece has a certain earthiness to it.
~The item has a loose, flowing design that suggests a movement of energy.

At a show of this kind, I typically buy jewelry, clothing, and pottery. However, I look for these qualities in any art form, including books and performing arts, where some of these qualities tend to be more metaphorical.

I believe you should create according to what stirs your heart as a top priority, but I thought this list from an artist/patron's viewpoint might be helpful. I'd love to see your responses to the list in your comments!

Thanks,
Susan
scleaver@dejazzd.com

P.S. for Locals: Don't miss the free Wellness Fair this Saturday, March 21, 2009, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Boyertown Area Sr. High School! It's presented by the Boyertown Area Community Wellness Council. Bring the whole family; there's something for everyone.

I'm on the planning committee, so I can tell you it's going to be bigger and better than ever this year! Stop by and see me; I'll be exhibiting, giving brief Reiki treatments, and teaching a short workshop on "Embracing Imperfection."

***All of Susan's creative4life posts are copyright of Susan Cleaver.***

No comments: