Thursday, November 29, 2007

Another Look at My Bookshelf

Here's some commentary on my Cameron collection favorites. If you're not a fan of Julia Cameron yet, take a look at these.

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

This book, which Cameron wrote with Mark Byran in the early nineties, is still in print and has become a modern classic.

Here's my history with it in a nutshell:
  • 1994: I resisted it.

  • 1995: I read it.

  • 1996: I lived it. I loved it.

  • 1997: I went to Omega Institute for a great workshop with Cameron.

  • 1998 to the present: I recommend it whenever I can; it has been pivotal in my own development!

It has what was for me a whole new way of looking at creativity. It also has lots of great exercises. My favorite is called "Blasting Through Blocks," which is about how fears and resentments get in the way of our creativity.

Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance

This is a very personal account of Cameron's financial, emotional, and artistic challenges over the years, which made mine look small by comparison. At the same time, it is very instructive and inspiring. Sometimes we forget that we are not the only ones who have struggled to make our artistic lives work.

Supplies: A Pilot's Manual for Creative Flight

This is a playful book with lively illustrations by her sister, Elizabeth Cameron. It contains thought-provoking questions and warnings of pitfalls to avoid.

My only complaint is that Cameron's comments on the usefulness of therapy were somewhat one-sided. Almost by definition, creatives see and feel more deeply in this world. I feel that for the balance we need to function and feel at this level, many of us find therapy to be very helpful, and I would not want to discourage anyone from seeking the help of a skilled, compassionate therapist.

The Vein of Gold: A Journey to Your Creative Heart

Here Cameron uses the metaphor of a journey through the kingdoms of Story, Sight, Sound, Attitude, Relationship, Spirituality, and Possibility. It contains lots of activities that take you along this path.

Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity

This is the sequel to The Artist's Way, and it takes you through 12 weeks of discoveries. Again, there are lots of activities to assist you with those discoveries. I especially like the one called the "Ta-Dah!" List.

Please comment on your experiences with these books or others that you love!

Thanks,

Susan

P.S. My guided journal, The Whispering Heart, makes a great holiday gift for Cameron fans or even for beginning journalers! Email me at scleaver@dejazzd.com for details.




No comments: